Remove Launchpage.org Virus (Chrome, Firefox, IE)Removal on Thursday, February 16th, 2017 in
Launchpage.org may seem like a safe search engine. It is not. The minute you come across this program, know you’re in trouble. For starters, have you had to deal with browser hijackers so far? Check out today’s article to learn all you need to know about these parasites. You’ve ended up infected with one. The launchpage.org Virus is among the newest cyber infections currently roaming the Web. Just like all other hijackers out there, launchpage.org is immensely unreliable and very dangerous. This pest takes over your entire browsing experience. It also makes modifications without your permission. To be fair, you can’t expect hackers to seek your consent before they mess with your computer system. Hijackers don’t get developed to serve your purposes. They one goal is much more prosaic and, unfortunately, malicious. The launchpage.org parasite alters your default browser settings. It installs an extension or a plugin to all your browsers. You may come across additional toolbars as well. Also, your search engine and browser homepage get changed too. Both are now replaced with the parasite’s domain. Its unsafe, devious domain. Don’t even for a second forget that this program was never meant to enhance your online experience. It was only meant to generate web traffic. You see, hackers use the dubious pay-per-click mechanism to make money. They boost web traffic to some particular pages which may or may not be harmless. Crooks are trying to trick you into clicking the parasite’s search results. However, these web links are all sponsored and potentially harmful. Launchpage.org displays both safe and corrupted links. The question is, are you willing to risk it? Are you going to jeopardize your own safety by clicking on the wrong search result? Don’t be gullible. This infection brings along nothing but trouble. It redirects you and hijacks your browsers. It causes your overwhelmed browsers to freeze and crash occasionally. No, that’s not all. Hijackers have a rich variety of tricks and dangers in store for you. Therefore, you’re making matters worse by keeping the parasite on board. You will lose nothing if you delete this nuisance. On the other hand, you will gain quite a lot. The launchpage.org Virus even poses a threat to your privacy. Hackers are the very last people who should be having access to your sensitive details. Thanks to the hijacker, now they do. That means all your IP addresses, email addresses, usernames and passwords are being spied on. Your browsing history gets monitored as well. It goes without saying that launchpage.org could attempt to steal some personally identifiable data too. For instance, bank account information.
How did I get infected with?
It’s safe to assume that you didn’t agree to install the virus. Malware usually takes a secretive approach. For example, it travels the Web via freeware and shareware bundles. Next time you download such program packages, watch out for potential intruders. There might be some vicious virus attached to the seemingly safe bundle. Unless you deselect it on time, you will accidentally compromise your machine. However, that means you have to spot the parasite beforehand. Many PC users rush the installation process and, eventually, install parasites. We would recommend that you opt for the Advanced or Custom option in the Setup Wizard. That will give the opportunity to watch out for nasty “bonus” infections on time. Having to uninstall a virus later on is a much greater hassle. Check out the Terms and Conditions of what you agree to download. Cyber criminals could be very creative people when it comes to spreading malware. Do not underestimate their shenanigans and always keep an eye out for parasites. In addition, stay away from spam emails and messages. More often than not, those hide a parasite.
Why is this dangerous?
Launchpage.org messes with your browsers. As mentioned already, it installs a browser add-on. That way Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer end up infected. Apart from crashing, they now also redirect you. You’re about to land on some highly questionable websites and could download more malware. Restrain yourself from clicking ANY of the parasite’s search results. Those are most definitely not the harmless links you were originally promised. Due to the hijacker’s presence, you may also stumble across pop-up ads. Despite the fact these commercials appear to be safe, they are just as dangerous as the search results. Launchpage.org is also responsible for some privacy issues and Internet connection problems. To delete this pest of a program manually, please follow our detailed removal guide. You will find it down below.
How to Remove Launchpage.org virus
The Launchpage.org infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Launchpage.org infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Launchpage.org infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Launchpage.org in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Launchpage.org startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Launchpage.org virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] or
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Launchpage.org traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Launchpage.org by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Launchpage.org
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Launchpage.org, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Launchpage.org argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Launchpage.org Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your system and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.