How to Remove Rambler.ru Redirect (Removal Guide)Removal on Friday, March 17th, 2017 in
Rambler.ru is an obnoxious website. One, you come across after a hijacker invasion. Yes, if a browser hijacker managed to infiltrate your system, brace yourself. You become acquainted with the website quite intimately. In terms of, you see it all the time! The hijacker forces it on you all day, every day until it turns into your online shadow. Since the infection sneaks in undetected, at first, you don’t know of its existence. You only come to realize it’s there, after it clues you in. And, that happens when the redirects to Rambler.ru start. As soon as they begin, you best take it as a warning. That’s exactly what the site’s display is. It warns that you have a hijacker in your system. And, urges you into immediate action. You better heed that warning, and act fast. The sooner you locate and delete the hijacker menace, the better. On the other hand, delays cost you. The more you postpone the tool’s removal, the worse your predicament gets. So, do yourself a favor, and act against the threat now. Find where the program, using Rambler.ru as a face, lurks. And, delete it on discovery. It’s for the best.
How did I get infected with?
Hijackers are tools, bound to seek approval on their install. If they’re to enter your system, you have to allow it. The program seeks your consent, and only proceeds with installment, after you give it. In other words, if Rambler.ru plagues your browsing, you’re to blame. You gave the green light of admission to the tool behind it. But don’t beat yourself up too hard. There are a few redeeming qualities. The exchange is not as straightforward as you may imagine. The application doesn’t outright appear, and seek access. If it did, you can deny it with ease. And, then what? The tool cannot take that chance. So, it turns to trickery. Hijackers use every invasive method there is, and dupe you into allowing them in. Freeware, fake updates, corrupted links, spam email attachments. You name it. Their array of means of infiltration is extensive. And, though, the methods differ from one another, they do have a common theme. Each one needs you distracted. The common denominator is your carelessness. So, don’t grant it! Don’t throw caution to the wind when installing tools. Or, updates. Or, anything! Always do your due diligence. It goes a long way, and saves you countless issues.
Why is this dangerous?
Hijackers are invasive, malicious, and quite hazardous to both you and your PC. And, you best believe, they’ve earned their notoriety. Issues come flooding your way not long after the tool’s invasion. They manifest with your browsing first. Every time you go online, you face intrusions. You get redirected to Rambler.ru, and other annoying sites. Rambler.ru takes over for your default search engine and homepage. You encounter a waterfall of pop-up ads. And, don’t think these disruptions go unnoticed. They don’t. They slow down your computer, and lead to frequent system crashes. But as frustrating as these invasions are, they still fall under the ‘minor’ category. They pale in comparison to the more severe ones, the hijacker causes. The absolute worst of which is the security threat. The infection, using Rambler.ru as a front, jeopardizes your privacy. It spies on you from the moment it slithers into your system. The program tracks every online move you make. And, not jut that. It also records it. So, your browsing activities get tracked and cataloged. Then, when the tool gathers enough data, it sends it. To whom? Well, to the third parties that unleashed it onto the web. In other words, malicious cyber criminals with agendas. Ar those the kind of people, you want to hand access to your private life? Do you think it ends well if they get a hold of it? Keep your personal and financial data out of their hands! Don’t stand by as the infection steals, and later exposes, your privacy! Keep your private life private. Locate and delete the hijacker plague ASAP.
How to Remove Rambler.ru virus
The Rambler.ru infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Rambler.ru infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Rambler.ru infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Rambler.ru in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Rambler.ru startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Rambler.ru virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] or
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Rambler.ru traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Rambler.ru by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Rambler.ru
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Rambler.ru, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Rambler.ru argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Rambler.ru Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your system and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.