Remove forwindownet.com RedirectBrowser Hijackers on Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 in
If you’re randomly redirected to forwindownet.com, that’s bad news. It’s a crystal clear sign your computer is no longer infection-free. Now, before you panic, this parasite is among the least destructive types of infections. Adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are quite easy to tackle. The problem is that if you hesitate, the virus will get out of control. Are you willing to worsen one already pretty bad situation? No cyber threat is to be underestimated. Do not overlook this program’s malicious potential because tolerating a virus is a huge mistake. The more time the parasite spends on your machine, the more problematic it becomes. Immediately after installation, this pest adds a plugin to your browsers. By doing so, it takes control over your entire online experience. You’re now unable to surf the Internet without dealing with the forwindownet.com pop-up ads. As mentioned, the parasite redirects you. You might land on various unsafe, dangerous websites. The adware brings threats straight to your PC screen. To prevent further damage, you must restrain yourself from clicking anything it generates. That includes pop-ups, pop-unders, banners, interstitials, video ads, etc. All of them are sponsored and potentially corrupted. That means your PC screen is constantly covered with unreliable links. Furthermore, the forwindownet.com ads are irritating and obnoxious beyond belief. At the least, you will have to waste your time avoiding these commercials. Do you know why hackers force their pop-ups on you so stubbornly? Because they gain revenue through the pay-per-click mechanism. The virus generates web traffic to some particular pages. This way crooks gain dubious profit online. Now that you know the forwindownet.com ads are sponsored, stay away from them. Clicking is definitely not a risk worth taking and you know it. Ignore all discounts, coupons, product deals, offers and price comparisons. Even if they seem attractive, keep in mind there’s a virus standing behind the ads. It is in your best interest to restrain yourself from clicking. In addition, you may come across fake software updates and other third-party ads. Take care of your safety and stay away from anything the adware displays. Uninstall this nuisance on the spot.
How did I get infected with?
Have you recently downloaded some program bundle? If so, it’s very likely that’s how the virus got installed. Freeware and shareware bundles are two immensely popular infiltration techniques at the moment. All kinds of parasites apply them. This time you fell victim to an adware infection. However, there are much more destructive programs out there. It should be enough to mention Trojan horses and ransomware. Save yourself a headache and be careful. When installing bundles, opt for the Advanced or Custom option in the Setup Wizard. Paying attention will protect your security so don’t rush. Check out the Terms and Conditions or EULA (End User License Agreement). Remember that the Web is infested with parasites. It is entirely up to you whether your machine will remain safe. Another commonly used trick involves spam messages. Delete the suspicious-looking messages you may stumble across instead of clicking them open. Last but not least, stay away from illegitimate websites/torrents/third-party pop-up ads. Those might be corrupted as well.
Why is this dangerous?
For starters, this program is annoying. It injects all your browsers with the pesky, useless forwindownet.com pop-ups. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer are no longer trustworthy. They generate tailored and incredibly unsafe commercials and web links. You get redirected to random pages which may or may not be harmless. You might compromise your device further in the blink of an eye. In order not to do so, delete the virus. Due to its undesirable presence, your PC speed is significantly slowed down. The parasite might also cause your browsers to crash and freeze. Even your Internet connection could experience difficulties. To top it all, your private life online isn’t private anymore. This pest collects about as much browsing-related information as it possibly could. Browsing history, search queries, passwords, usernames, IP addresses. Crooks have free access to your sensitive, private data. It goes without saying they would find a way to make money out of it. To prevent financial scams and identity theft, get rid of the parasite. You will find our detailed removal guide down below.
How to Remove FORWINDOWNET.COM virus
The FORWINDOWNET.COM infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the FORWINDOWNET.COM infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the FORWINDOWNET.COM infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down FORWINDOWNET.COM in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate FORWINDOWNET.COM startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean FORWINDOWNET.COM virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] or
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean FORWINDOWNET.COM traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the FORWINDOWNET.COM by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by FORWINDOWNET.COM
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for forwindownet.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove FORWINDOWNET.COM argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove FORWINDOWNET.COM Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your system and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.